Monday, May 6, 2013

Watermelon

So there are lots of stereotypes and today I'm going to tackle the one referring to black people and watermelon.

TBH, I NEVER understood this stereotype. First time I heard it I was like: DAFUQ?? What do black people and watermelon have to do with each other. So today I finally decided to search it up and discovered some history behind it.

Way back when the southern poor people ate watermelon (as well as chitlins *yes, pig intestines) because they were the cheap food that everyone could afford. Now when I say poor southerns I refer to black and white. However, for some reason everyone paid a lot more attention to black people when they bought watermelon and it became a stereotype. Kinda weird, but at least this is one of the more positive/not negative/slandering stereotypes about black people.

Caption: I believe this is Katy Perry in picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment